Tuesday, November 25, 2008

1st Day of School

Well, we all survived the 1st day of school for our Ethiopian princess. We are feeling so relieved to have this one "in the books". She did amazing. It was so hard to walk out of her classroom & leave her. She did not want us to leave but quickly adjusted & enjoyed herself. When it was "pick-up time", we made sure we were the 1st car in line & it was priceless to see the expression on her face when she saw us (it reminded me so much of the 1st time we saw her when the gate of HH opened & our eyes met). N says that was the most important part of her day...the moment she saw that we were coming back for her :-) . From the moment she climbed into the car, she did not stop talking about it until she fell asleep tonight. I asked her if she likes her teacher & she said, "Oh, yes, Rusie loves" & we love her teacher, as well. She went out of the way to do all the fun 1st day of school things with OE, such as doing her handprint on a paper with the "Kissing Hand" poem. We had read that book last night at bedtime, so I'm sure that was a big reassurance to OE. I asked her who she sat with at lunch & she said her friend. I asked her if her friend was a girl or a boy & she said, "Girl, me lots of girl friends" (she was probably thankful to have some girls to play with since our household is a little lacking in the girl department). She was so proud. She is so excited about going back tomorrow but a little disappointed that she won't get to eat lunch because it's a half-day for the holiday. L is planning to walk her in all by himself & they are both excited about that. On the homefront, it was also a good day. I was a blubbering mess when we left the school, but I kept myself busy & made it through the morning by conitnually praying for my sweet princess! It is so amazing to know that God takes care of our children when we aren't there with them. For me, today was a day of letting go & trusting that God can take of my little girl just like He did before He brought her to our family & just like He will always! God is so good!

(Celebrating with ice cream at the end of the school day!)

11 comments:

Holly Peete said...

so proud of OUR princess! what a big girl!! : )

Angela said...

Oh..how sweet. I'm going to cry!

OE has intelligent eyes. I felt she could do it!

Coffeybunny said...

I'm so proud of your sweet princess, she is so brave. You guys are amazing.

Sweet T.E.A. said...

So glad to hear that her first day went great! She is so sweet! Loved the road trip shots...congrats on introducing her to Pals!!!! Frenchie Fries rule!

The Gresham Clan said...

Hooray - congratulations sweet girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh Karey what a precious story!!! I'm so happy she did well and you were able to pray throughout the day which I'm posiive led to the huge success that it was. :) I still cry when my guys get out of the car most mornings and they all started in August. It's harder on us mommies I believe. :)

Lori Inman said...

How wonderful that OE had a great first day at school. She's such an amazing little girl!

Kelly K. said...

So happy for Rusie and that she is loving school! She is making so many wonderful memories with you and your family! *I'm mailing your attachment CDs back to you...thank you so much! They were very helpful and we're praying we can travel in Jan. to bring our sweet baby home! Happy Thanksgiving! Kelly

A Team said...

WOW... I am behind. I didn't realize she was going to school.
How fun it would be to have her in class. That teacher is gonna FALL IN LOVE (if she hasn't already).

amymo said...

Wow! How awesome and proud I am of her! I can't wait to meet her. I am soooooooooo impressed with your little lady!

amymo said...

Wow! How awesome and proud I am of her! I can't wait to meet her. I am soooooooooo impressed with your little lady!