Friday, September 5, 2008

Word List

Things are soooo much better around here. We realized that she is definately homesick & that has helped us so much in dealing with it. The music continues to be very therapeutic. She found another song that she loves on one of the other CDs, & we listed to it all morning today. Thank you for all of your support, prayers, & encouragement.

I've been working on a list of Amharic words that we have been helpful. Some of them we learned before we traveled & some of them she has taught us. Here they are:

*ewedeshalo--I love you! (the most important one to know!)
*birtukan--orange
*dabo--bread
*woosha--dog
*sooft--toilet paper, kleenex, paper towel, etc.
*gel mix--antibacterial gel (not sure if it's Amharic, but that's what she calls it)
*oongulat--eggs (her ultimate favorite food)
*wine--grapes
*kaka--poopy
*shintaa, shintee, shint--potty or peepee (she says it all three ways)
*qwas--ball (her favorite toy)
*chammas--shoes
*fawnducha--popcorn (her second favorite food)
*sami--kiss
*ameseugenalow--Thank you
*Semesh (f)/Seme (m) man no?--What's your name?
*Chow--bye
*Shalom--hello
*konjo--pretty
*owh--yes
*why--stop/no? (something like that...)
*osa--fish
*goofii--push

3 comments:

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

forgot to mention...LOVE those UT outfits! maybe we'll fair better at the next game:) my husband was pretty depressed!

Michael and Michelle said...

I am so glad you can see that she is homesick/grieving. You are a smart mom and you are really doing a GREAT job!! Hang in there.
I remember after we had our oldest child.....and she cried ALL the time. It was so hard!! I had to think back to the time I was pregnant and couldn't wait to meet her and hear that cry. Even though times are tough....we wouldn't want them any other way!

Your awesome!

Michelle

Eastiopians said...

I just highlighted the words and printed them so I can start to learn them also. Thank you for sharing. So sorry that she is sad but glad to hear that you guys are such a big support to her and are so understanding of her needs.