On the night of our meeting with OE's Ethiopian family, our travel group, Almaz, & Danny went to an Ethiopian Restaurant for dinner. I don't know if they planned it on this night for this reason, but it was just what we needed after our emotionally draining day. We had a blast! I sat by Almaz & was starstruck to say the least. She is an absolute angel. At first, I was really kind of nervous, but very quickly it was like I was sitting with an old friend. We laughed & laughed. She said she loved my southern accent & was jealous of it & my English. She also told OE that she loved her clothes & that her mother had a "sense of style". I just love that woman! She helped us through our meal, explaining all the different foods & customs. If you know me personally, you know that I am a super picky eater. Needless to say, all I tried was one bite of the Injera & a sip of the Honey Wine. The Honey Wine is their traditional drink. Everyone had fun trying to drink it while holding the glass properly. OE really enjoyed the meal! It was so fun to watch her chow & enjoy herself so much! N didn't eat much more than me & he is a pretty good eater. I think he lost his appetite after he took a bite of the "slightly under-cooked" meat (as Almaz described it...I would describe it more as opening up a package of ground beef & cooking it for about 2 seconds). The music & dancing was so enjoyable. OE even did a little dancing with her shoulders, but since we've been home I realize that she was holding out on us...she is quite a dancer! Here are some pictures! :-)

The restaraunt as we walked in...

The area where our group sat. We were crowded very close together around the basket in the center which, when the lid was lifted off, served as the plate we all shared.

Some of our evening's entertainment.

OE loving her Ethiopian food!

N loving him some Honey Wine!
Our little dancing girl with Danny (she has a tootsie roll on her front two teeth...that's why her teeth look kind of silly...she loves her chocolate!). Danny & Yohannes are amazing as well! Great guys with great hearts! They love the kiddos, & the kiddos love them!
Very special people & an evening full of memories we will never forget!
BTW, today R decided that for his & C's 10th birthday we are all going back to Ethiopia! Sounds great to me! We'll celebrate 5 years together with our first return trip to our daughter's birthcountry! The boys can't wait to go see what all the fuss is about!
We love Ethiopia!
3 comments:
Cute video. I'm a picky eater too! Are they offended if you don't try the food?
love to hear of yalls memories made there!
Ooooh, I loved the video clip. OE is adorable and it was like stepping into an ET restaurant with you guys for a minute. Loved the music. I may want to just live there. Hmmmm, another thing to ponder? Ha ha. Can't wait to see you guys.
Post a Comment