Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's Thursday!

Good morning from Ethiopia! We are so glad it's Thursday! We have been so glad to have the extra time in our daughter's birthcountry, but we are thankful to be leaving tomorrow for home & the boys & everyone else. Tuesday was our toughest day. We were just emotionally drained & I think that's why we had tummy aches. It didn't feel like travelers sickness...thank you, God! Yesterday (Wednesday) was wonderful. We let OE play at HH while we went to another orphanage to hand out candy, clothing, & shoes. As we walked through the gate, I said to myself, "Thank you, Lord, for HH & AGCI". Any frustrations we have had with AGCI along the way have melted away. The care & love the children receive there is beyond description! We may not get court dates, but our children are cared for better in ways that seem humanly impossible in the midst of a country filled with such despair. God is all over HH! Almaz explained to us that there are really no state run orphanages b/c there is no government support for orphan care, so all orphanages are privately run (just some are better managed & run than others ;-) ). The most memorable moments at that orphanage came from going through donations to find shoes that fit for the children. One boy, was insistant that a pair of tennis shoes would fit him even though it looked to be a tight squeeze. I brushed the dirt off his fit & squeezed them in. He was so excited. Later, N noticed he had on a St. Louis Cardinals shirt, so they became buddies (Go Cardinals!). After the orphanage, we went shopping. We were so glad that Eyerus was able to be playing at HH with her friends, so we could concetrate on shopping & gathering little gifts for OE from her birthcountry to give to her throughout her life. My favorite purchases were some jewelry that we plan to save for her 16th birthday, wedding day, etc. I liked one shop in particular & the ladies in there told me I was their favorite customer & gave me a beautiful basket for a gift & gave N a keychain (N said, "I bet your their favorite customer ;-) ). Afterwards, we went to a wonderful restaraunt for a delicious lunch of foccasia & pizza! Yummo! It was at an art gallery & I found the most amazing piece of artwork for our room. I have had a picture in my head of a beach picture I would want for above our bed & I found one that is just what I envisioned (color & style), but it's of an African village! Wow! We splurged & got it! Although, I was sick when we left, as we drove away with all the hungry women & children reaching into the window & begging for food. That darn painting would have fed them many meals! Hmmm...lots to take in & digest. We love the families we are traveling with & have laughed & laughed with them. The guys all have the same sense of humor as N, so we are having a blast. Okay, I must wrap this up. We are off to HH to help Almaz organize clothes (Yes, she is a woman after my own heart!). Then we will go back to the art museum for another familiy to look for their own Ethiopian art treasure. We will go to Kaldi's (the Ethiopian Starbucks) on the way home to eat hamburgers & ice cream! Boys, we can't wait for you to meet your sister. She is soooo much like you all. We are going to have so much fun together! Get ready & rest up. She has as much energy as you boys do!!!!!! We love you & will see you so soon!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Eastiopians said...

Wonderful update. I'm so glad you guys are enjoying your time in Ethiopia. Can't wait to be there myself next year and especially can't wait to see OE tomorrow night!!! Almaz sounds amazing. If we could all be more like her, this world would be a safe place for all children.

Lori Inman said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure in ET. Hope to meet your sweet little girl some day. Prayers for your safe travels home.

Coffeybunny said...

Glad you're doing well and bonding. It'll be so fun to see the boys with her!

Holly Peete said...

cant wait to see you all! prayers for a safe trip home! love yall!

Kelly K. said...

Thank you so much for keeping this blog while you are there in Ethiopia. My husband and I both look forward to it everyday...it makes us even more excited about our trip to pick up "B" in a few months!! So happy to hear how well cared for the children are in HH, and I'm thanking God for Almaz! Continuing to pray for you, your husband and your African princess!

Tricia said...

The updates are so great! What an amazing adventure God has put you on! We are so excited for your family! I am sure this time has been special but I can't imagine how excited you are to get OE home to her brothers!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful time in ET. I miss it so much. Thanks for the updates! Praying for your safe travels home!

Three2Five said...

I know I am focusing on the wrong thing right now but I was excited to hear you guys say your are Cardinals fans. Me too! (I am originally from Saint Louis.
HH sounds amazing and I can't wait for my turn. THanks for making it so real.